October 11, 2009

Seamus' birth story

I wrote my birth story down for Seamus to read when he got older. It's written to him so keep that in mind!

On Tuesday June 23rd 20009 you were born. This is the story of how it all went down.



I had had a doctors appointment the day before and Dr. Golden told me to go into the hospital if I didn’t feel you move at least two hours after I ate anything. Well, I ate breakfast and nothing. So, I called your dad and we went to labor and delivery at TMC. The nurse in triage was very nice and even came to visit you after you were born. They monitored me there for a little over an hour and said that I was having contractions but that the were pretty far apart and not very strong, they also did and ultrasound to make sure that there was still enough amniotic fluid surrounding you (there was). So, we left. Your dad and I got lunch and went home. After I ate my contractions got more intense and frequent so I told your dad that he might have to leave work again. Dad left and almost immediately my contractions became painful and very close together. While watching Rush Hour 2 I timed them for the duration of the movie using the time elapsed on the DVD player as my guide. They were 4 – 7 minuets apart for over an hour and that’s when I called Dr. Golden's office. One of the assistants told me to go ahead and go to the hospital. So, I called your dad again, and we went back. We got the same nurse from earlier which was nice. Your dad made phone calls to tell everyone that we were at the hospital and that you were on the way. Your Grammy Glor and Uncle Donny were the first to get to the hospital, and then Aunt Heather followed by Grammy Hosack and Auntie CC and finally Aunty Granny Lynn.




I was moved into a delivery room once Dr. Golden had had a chance to examine me and approve my admission. My nurse for the delivery was named Katie and she was very honest about what was going to happen and how things would progress. They gave me a shot of before they gave me the epidural so I felt pretty good for a while! Once I got the epidural it was only an hour or so before I started pushing. While we waited everyone talked and laughed. Your Grammy Glor and Grammy Hosack talked about quilting and Uncle Donny talked to Auntie Granny Lynn about how excited he was to be an uncle.

They broke my water manually and found meuconium in the fluid. I was told that NICU would be in the room when I delivered and that I would have to stop pushing once your head was out so that they could clean out your airways before you took your first breath to lower the risk of aspiration.

Around 10:30pm I was told it was time to start pushing. It was hard to know where I was pushing and if I was pushing hard enough at first because of the epidural but after a few rounds I got the hang of it and after an hour you were here!

No comments:

Post a Comment